The WordPress theme Elegant Grunge originally designed by Michael Tyson has lots of functionality and has a simple yet sophisticated look… but I felt the original version was using up a lot of screen area for no good reason and there were lot of scrolling needed to be done for the user. Along with many other areas the header was unnecessarily big and the content needed to be scrolled down to, I found this wide space used throughout the theme as a usability issue. So I customized the Elegant Grunge WordPress Theme and also added some new features in the Elegant Grunge Mod version. I plan to add some more functionality soon on this one to make it more customizable i.e. adding built in Google Analytics feature, font changing option and some other stuff. Feel free to suggest ideas….
- Download the Mod from above (or below if you want to use other versions).
- Extract/Unzip it in your WordPress themes directory.
- In your wordpress Admins section got to “Themes” and click on Activate by selecting “Elegant Grunge Mod".
- That’s it!! You’re done.
Now the Mod will be your running theme. The Mod will be in its own folder and you DO NOT need to merge or Copy/Paste files or replace original files with the Modded one’s. The "Elegant Grunge Mod" itself is a fully functional WordPress theme and is ready to be used like any other WordPress Theme!!!
- Fix - Header dropping Down on Widescreen monitors.
- Menu Resized – Now can include 7 links
- IE Photo Frame support option added. (Check in EGM theme options)
- Drop Down Menu added [I got tons of request for this, so there you go :-) ]
- Menu Brought Down below the top banner to improve usability.
- Search Bar moved to top to save space for widgets in the sidebar.
- RSS icon added at top.
- Option Added for Category Drop Down Menu on Top.
- Support added for Double Right Sidebar.
- Support added for NO Right Sidebar.
- Blog font related various change implemented for better readability.
- IE 8 Fix for header image centering.
- Option added to use any overlay plugin for photoblog thumbnails (tested with lightbox, lightview, shadowbox).
- Fixed, "[/caption]" from appearing in sidebar photoblog thumbnails.
- Photoframe extended to put caption inside the photoframe.
- IE new photoframe now appears even without having captions (1.2 required to have caption using IE).
- Avatar size increased
- Photo Frames Removed For Internet Explorer and replaced with different frame. This fixes the issue of broken photo frames that appears in Original Elegant Grunge Theme when using Internet Explorer. (check my websites home page in Firefox and IE to see the difference)
- Maximum Image Size that can appear in a Post is increased.
- Link Underline on Mouse Hover added to distinguish different Tags and Links.
- Some font size changed
- Post area font color darkened for better visibility.
- Caption Text is required In Internet Explorer to have the new frames around the picture . (Next release will fix this)
- Fix: Header dropping Down on Widescreen monitors.
- Blog post area increased
- Header area space decreased
- Option added for excluding links from top Menu
- Digg.com option added
- AddThis.com option added
- Individual Post control for Digg,com and AddThis.com added
- Post area Font changed with a more readable one
- Icons added for Author, category, Tags, Comments
- In many area a lot of space between objects are reduced to make everything more compact in one place unlike the original version where everything was spaced out a lot and was occupying a lot of screen area with less information.
- To add Digg.com to a post just use "Custom Fields" area in the "Edit Post" Page and enter digg with value 1.
- To add AddThis.com to a post just use "Custom Fields" area in the "Edit Post" Page and enter addthis with value 1.
- To Excluide Links from Top Menu just use the Elegant Grunge Themes Options Menu and enter the Page ID’s seperated by commas in the "Exclude Links from Menu" to exclude links from top menu.